Thursday, January 4, 2024

The Gam's Afoot!

Here we are then: 2024. Happy New Year to one and all. May it be more successful and happier than the last. It does make me feel good to be able to update this page so early into a new calendar year. Amidst all the chaos of late December, I was unable to fulfil my plan to squeeze in another trip before 2023 was out. However, a delay of only a few days meant that I was able to briefly postpone my intended excursion into the more sedate days of early January and I ultimately ventured out a mere two days ago, not long after the calendar had reset into the the new year. The delay in proceedings was made substantially easier by my intended destination being very close to home. Often, in my attempts to explore as many wide and varied locations as possible for the sake of this blog, it can be tough to figure out where to fit in specific venues. The aim of this trip was to head to the suburbs and investigate a couple of neighbouring areas and a quartet of pubs, hitherto unvisited. My aim would be to venture to the villages of Gamston and Edwalton, located as they are on the outskirts of Nottingham and conveniently close to one another. I had a broad idea of what to expect. I knew from previous research that the pubs out that way would be chain pubs but this didn't necessarily mean that they weren't worth visiting. As both Gamston and Edwalton are located on bus routes from Nottingham city centre, I'd decided to begin at the former and walk to the latter, ticking off the pubs on the way. What I hadn't counted on was that the day I had chosen for this task would turn out to be one of the wettest I've every experienced, thus increasing the difficulty factor somewhat. 

Gamston is a village, civil parish and suburb of West Bridgford, in the Rushcliffe district of Nottinghamshire. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 2,164. It is situated approximately 3 miles (5 km) south-east of Nottingham and the same distance east of West Bridgford.

The parish of Gamston comes under Holme Pierrepont and Gamston Parish Council. Gamston is split into Gamston North and Gamston South wards of Rushcliffe Borough Council; Gamston North includes Holme Pierrepont And Gamston Parish Council and the current Councillor is Jonathan Wheeler. The parish contains the villages of Holme Pierrepont and Edwalton. The population of this ward also taken at the 2011 Census was 5,337. It is one of the nine wards in West Bridgford.

Most of the homes in Gamston were built since the 1980s as part of the expansion of West Bridgford. The homes range from 2 bed bungalows and one bed terraces to 5 bedroomed family homes.

The border between Gamston and Edwalton exists at the junction of Beckside, Melton Gardens and Alford Road. The West Bridgford border however is somewhat harder to ascertain, although the Grantham Canal provides a partial boundary to the north-west of the village.

In 2009, Gamston was proposed as the site for a 45,000 seat football stadium, to host games in the 2018 World Cup and Nottingham Forest football club, who have played at the City Ground in West Bridgford since 1898. Previous suggested sites included nearby Holme Pierrepont.

Gamston is easily reached by bus from Nottingham city centre and so, having boarded the Trent Barton Mainline bus I would eventually arrive in the area around 12:30, delayed by a few minutes due to unpleasant driving conditions and the bus having to negotiate the tight confines of West Bridgford's main shopping precinct. From the onset, the day's weather was horrendous. Grey skies and heavy, persistent rain, courtesy of Storm Henk, would be in abundance all day and ultimately cause a number of flood-related issues, including transport delays and road closures, both locally and across the country. It can certainly be an ordeal completing these trips but I am nothing if not a seasoned professional. Conveniently for my itinerary, the Mainline bus stops at a location that shares its name with the first pub on the route. At the junction with Radcliffe Road and the A52 junction, I disembarked to find my first stop just across the road. Using the handy pedestrian crossing, I was soon approaching The Gamston Lock. 


This large, roadside pub, located adjacent to the ring road was completely rebuilt following a devastating fire in 2013 that destroyed the previous premises. The previous building was originally built in the 1980s for Banks' of Sheffield and was known as The Bridge at Gamston, a name it retained until its fiery demise. The current moniker has been in place since the rebuild and reflects the location's proximity to the canal. The Gamston Lock is owned and operated by Marston's, under the Rotisserie Pub Restaurants arm of their portfolio. There is also a hotel attached, again run by Marston's, set slightly behind the main pub building. Having crossed the flooded car park, I was pleased to find the pub warm, dry and welcoming. Inside, the pub is large, with a central bar. To the left, is an area laid out specifically for dining. Less formal arrangements can be found to the right, with this area preferred for the casual drinker, although it is possible to eat in both areas. The interior, whilst resembling two large rooms, has been thoughtfully divided up into smaller areas. The dining area has small, glass screens dividing up the space. In the drinking area, to which I am directed, a row of booth-style tables can be found at the back of the room. A number of smaller areas, divided by pillars, are located throughout, including a small, elevated section to one side and a snug-like space, fronted by windows, to the front. The toilets are located to the rear. There is outside seating to the front, although given the weather conditions upon my arrival, this was very wisely unoccupied. This being a Marston's premises, ale is available, and I was greeted by 8 handpulls, arranged in two banks of 4. 3 of these were in use, providing a choice between Wainwright, Brakspear Oxford Gold and Marston's own Brew-dolph. Christmas ales would make an appearance in most of the day's pubs, a hangover from the strange transitional period between Christmas and New Year. For my first beer of the day, I selected the Oxford Gold. It's been a while since I'd partaken of this particular beverage and I don't often see it on draught up here so it would have been rude not to. I retreated from the bar to a table with banquette seating a short distance away so I could simultaneously wet my whistle and dry off. The Oxford Gold was a delight! At 4% on draught (the bottle version is 4.6%), it pours pale gold and features citrus aromas that give way to a zesty, fruity finish. As opening beers go, you can do much worse!

As opening pubs go, the same can be said for The Gamston Lock. Whilst it is clearly food-led, the beer is good. It wasn't particularly busy during my visit. Apart from myself, there were a couple of other groups in my side of the pub, presumably locals, although a few other people did arrive for food during my stay. Given that the day of my visit was the first day back at work after the festive break, and the weather was horrible, it's not really surprising that footfall was reduced. Suitably rejuvenated, I braced myself for venturing back outside. It would be a little bit of a walk to the next pub and the weather showed no sign of improvement. Crossing back over the car park, I turned left immediately upon exiting and cut down an opening between rows of houses. This brought me into the residential part of Gamston, effectively a large housing estate with lots of very nice looking houses on both sides. Taking a right, I followed a footpath behind some houses and emerged on Ambleside, one of the central thoroughfares through this area. According to Google maps, my next stop wasn't too far away. However, several minutes of searching, retracing my steps and looping back and forth soon convinced me that the pub in question is not where Google Maps seems to think it is. Not to be deterred, I resolved to continue down Ambleside. I was following a hunch. I knew that the next pub was in close proximity to both the A52 and a Morrisons supermarket so I headed towards what I suspected was the outer edge of the estate. My hunch was soon proven correct. A few minutes later, and considerably wetter, I saw the welcome sign hove into view. I would next take refuge at The Goose. 


Originally built in the 1990s to serve, what was then, the new Gamston estate, The Goose was formerly a Kimberley's tied house but is now operated by Greene King, under its Eating Inn banner. Another food-led pub, the interior is large and open plan. There are two entrances, to the front and side, both leading through into one large room with a U-shaped bar. The furnishings are comfortable, with furniture primarily wooden tables and chairs and banquette seating. A small number of high tables and stools are arranged near the bar. The whole layout is broken up into smaller areas for dining. A larger space at one end is more suitable for dining. A raised area to one side is quieter and tucked slightly away from the main space. The toilets are tucked into a corner, adjacent to the side entrance. The pub is family-friendly and houses a Kids Playzone/disease factory, which hosts family events. As with all Greene King pubs, there are ales available too. On the bar here are 10 handpulls, in two banks of 5. When I stumbled in from the rain, 6 of these were occupied, although these did consist of 3 beers doubled up across both sections. My choices here were Greene King IPA, Greene King Abbot Ale and Hardys & Hansons Rocking Rudolph. In the face of such options, it was Abbot for me and I perched on a stool at the bar. The Goose was slightly busier than the Gamston Lock but not by much. A trio of labourers were sat at a high table nearby. An elderly couple came in for their lunch, with the gentleman struggling with the card machine. On the other side of the room, small family groups were enjoying lunch. I was enjoying the Abbot too. You'd expect it to be good in a Greene King pub and this ticked all the boxes. It was much needed after the walk down and was all the better as a result. The Goose has the feel of a well-used proper estate pub. No frills, no bells and whistles. Just a boozer serving the local community and anyone who happens to be passing through. 

Soon, it was time to brave the wet and windy weather once again. Leaving The Goose and setting off into the torrent, I turned left, passing the aforementioned supermarket, and a vets surgery, on my right. Continuing on, the road becomes Beckside, which marks the boundary between Gamston and the village of Edwalton. 

One of the earliest mentions of Edwalton village is in the Domesday book where it features among lands given to Hugh de Grandmesnil by King William 1. This land required more than three ploughs and consisted of 20 acres (8.1 ha) of meadow.

After the marriage of the heir to West Bridgford's landowners, the Musters family, into the Chaworth family, the areas of West Bridgford and Edwalton were joined as West Bridgford Urban District and now as part of Rushcliffe Borough. While the official boundaries of Edwalton are uncertain, Boundary Road is commonly accepted as the division from West Bridgford.

Edwalton contains some of Nottingham's most expensive properties: Valley Road, Melton Road, Croft Road and Village Street include properties worth over a million pounds. Edwalton Hall, the largest, was once the residence of the Chaworth family and is now an exclusive complex of mews houses and apartments. For a time it became a hotel and restaurant, before being developed by Crosby Homes. Today it includes a gym, swimming pool and croquet lawn. In recent years developers have laid out new housing estates in the area known locally as Sharphill Farm. These are primarily of high-specification family homes, with good road links for commuters. Edwalton is varied architecturally. Landmark bespoke houses are common, but most of it is now composed of large housing estates, first built in the early 1950s, with subsequent estates added in the 1980s to the present day. Many council houses and flats were privately bought under the Right to buy scheme of the 1980s. Only a small number now belong to Rushcliffe Borough Council. Its housing stock passed in early 2003 to Spirita Housing Association. On 1 April 2012 Spirita was dissolved and ownership was taken over by Metropolitan Housing Association Group, based in London.

My journey into Edwalton coincided with even more of a downturn in the weather. I managed to eat my lunch without it getting too soggy before the rain increased. I passed overflowing culverts and gushing storm drains. The rain showed no signs of abating in the foreseeable future. Thankfully, the third pub wasn't too long of a trek away. Carrying on down Beckside, I eventually reached a roundabout. Immediately to the left of this, from my point of view, is a pub by the side of the road. A pub which I would now investigate. Onwards to the Meadow Covert.


Another Greene King operated premises, the Meadow Covert had something of a 'reputation' a few years ago. When I worked nearby (more on which later), it was spoken of in rather unsavoury terms. I was about to see whether there was any truth to this or whether the rumours were unfounded. The pub's unusual name comes from 'covert' meaning 'a shelter for people stuck or lost' (very apt) and its locality, close to Meadow Covert Wood. The building itself was converted from an off-licence in 1955, although the current pub is significantly different to the original layout. A single main entrance leads through to two rooms. To the right, is the public bar which features TVs, dartboards and a pool table, along with raised tables and chairs. An adjacent outdoor smoking area is heated and has its own TV. This area of the pub is where the off-sales area of the original building would have been located. The bar counter has survived in its original form. An additional bay into this area was added when the front entrance was enlarged into its current state. To the left of the entrance is an L-shaped lounge with comfortable seating and a large, central bar. The toilets are at the top of the long arm of the L. A door to the rear leads to the garden which includes a children's play area in one corner. I arrived at the Meadow Covert in a distinctly soggy and bedraggled fashion. I am still surprised that I didn't leave a trail of water behind me on the carpet. However, I would soon be warmed by the sight of the bar and its 8 handpulls, an impressive 6 of which were in use. The choice here was a touch more varied than I was expecting: Hardys & Hansons Rocking Rudolph; Caledonian Deuchars; Timothy Taylor Landlord; Castle Rock Harvest Pale; Greene King Abbot and Greene King IPA. I opted for the Landlord and made my way to a table inside the bay window directly opposite the bar. This came equipped with a radiator so I could at least attempt to get a bit warmer and drier whilst I watched the car park outside slowly become a lake. The Meadow Covert turned out to be much more welcoming and friendly than I expected, although I was virtually the only customer. It's a comfortable place to avoid the rain, if nothing else, and I can confirm that the Landlord was well kept. It was certainly a more pleasant form of wetness than I'd endured on the walk here. 

Before long, my pint glass was empty which meant that I would be making my way back out into the wilds of the storm, in search of my final destination, and the only one of the day with which I have a prior connection. Leaving the Meadow Covert, I turned right, made my way back to the roundabout and this time went straight on, onto Alford Road. The road itself was treacherous now. I had to dodge large puddles on the pavement and standing water was prevalent on the road surface. Cars were at least slowing down to avoid splashing me and any other unfortunate pedestrians who might be nearby. I continued on down Alford Road, passing what would normally be playing fields but, at that point in time, resembled a scene from Waterworld. Eventually reaching the end of the road, I turned right onto Stamford Road and then took the next left onto Rufford Way where, in the fading light, I spied the Willow Tree.


Fun fact: I once worked at the Willow Tree. For two months in early 2013, I held the post of Assistant Manager. For reasons I won't go into, I ended up resigning my position and taking a year out from hospitality before it inevitably dragged me back into its slimy claws, where I've been trapped ever since. It wasn't all bad. Shortly after leaving here, I decided to start this blog. Look how far we've come! I was looking forward to seeing if and how the pub had changed in the meantime. This was the first time I'd been back since the end of my employ. Originally a Bass house, The Willow Tree is owned and operated by Stonegate and underwent a full refurbishment in November 2016. Again, the layout is open plan with a mixture of wooden and carpeted flooring. The seating, a mixture of tables, chairs and sofas, is comfortable and the overall decor is plain but contemporary. The main, front section is primarily for drinkers. A smaller area to one side is preferred for dining and there is a comfortable lounge to the rear. To one side there is an area for pool, darts and sports TV. This area used to be a separate function room all of its own but the refurbishment has opened up the internal structure and removed a lot of the pre-existing partition walls. In comparison to the layout from my time here, it's lighter, brighter and a lot less dated. The bar occupies most of the central space, with the toilets to one side. When I squelched my way in through the decidedly wet car park, I was surprised to see that the pub was fairly busy. Even though it was later in the day, with the weather being so bad, I almost expected this place to be empty. Instead there were a number of equally drenched people about, some of them accompanied by soggy looking canine friends. Still, I had at least made it to the end of the route so I was determined to enjoy it. The bar at The Willow Tree boasts 6 handpulls, and 4 of these were being utilised during my visit. The beer choices were decidedly more exciting than what I'd seen elsewhere during the day and I was faced with the choice of Sharp's Doom Bar, Shepherd Neame Spitfire, Theakston Lightfoot and Exmoor Gold. Exmoor Gold is am absolute rarity in this part of the country so I was instantly drawn to it. Pint procured, I slithered over to a small table in a quieter section of the pub, again near to a convenient radiator, to take it all in and reminisce about the place. All-in-all, I really like what they've done to it. The feel is definitely more modern and the atmosphere is comfortable and jovial. I certainly enjoyed my return visit more than I enjoyed working here, although looking back on it now does fill me with a sense of nostalgia. How about the beer? I'm glad you asked. Exmoor Gold (4.5%) is normally a beer I enjoy. The aroma is of fresh grassy and floral hops. There is a soft maltiness, with a tinge of caramel. On the palate, it's a balance of gentle grain and floral and citrus fruitiness. The finish is normally bittersweet with hints of citrus here and there. However, on this occasion something was missing. The flavours were there but nuanced, like they'd been toned down. The clarity wasn't what it was supposed to be. It didn't taste bad. It was just: fine. That's the only way to describe it. Fine. Not unpleasant. Drinkable but not to its usual standard. I was a tad disappointed but the experience of the pub itself was enough to not put me in too much of a grump. 

With the last drop of Exmoor Gold gone from my glass, and my final pub ticked off, it was time for the arduous final leg, in which I would attempt to make it back to Nottingham unscathed. Luckily, I was able to find a bus that wasn't unduly hampered by the weather and I arrived back in town without having to construct a seafaring vessel of my own design to get me there. Had my adventure in the face of the storm been worth it? What had I learned? Overall, I would argue that every trip to a new pub is worth it. Because I'm a massive geek, I enjoy seeing different pubs, their layouts and the ways they do what they do. In that respect, it was worth braving the wind and the rain, the wet clothes and the sore feet. This is one of those trips where I learned, even more so, that every pub has its place. The pubs on this excursion were nothing overly special but there was nothing overwhelmingly negative about any of them either. They are pubs, providing a service to those that need it. In essence, these pubs are the very heart of what community pubs can be said to be. They are a haven and a destination for those that live nearby. Sometimes that's all people really need. A beacon in the night. Perhaps, their 'specialness' is truly in the eye of the beholder (or 'beerholder') and can only really be measured by those who use them every day. It's also testament to what can be found in areas that you wouldn't normally have any cause to visit. They might surprise you.

With this first trip of the year out of the way, what else do I have in store for 2024? As usual, I have lots of trips to new locations planned, all being well, as well some potential return trips to some old favourites and there will definitely be some long overdue reappraisals of areas a bit more local to me. In the meantime, until I next return, likely in a few weeks, may the start of 2024 treat you kindly. Make sure, wherever you are and whatever you're doing, you take time out to drink great beer and visit great pubs. Cheers!

Pub of the day: The Willow Tree. For nostalgic reasons, I really enjoyed coming back here.

Beer of the day: Brakspear Oxford Gold. Finding this on handpull and in great condition, was a very good start to the trip.

Biggest surprise: The Meadow Covert. After everything negative I'd heard about it, it's actually rather nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment